What does the Australian Orchid Council Inc. (AOC) do? It provides:
- A national forum for the coordination of orchid growing across Australia and resolution of issues;
- A direct voice to clubs in the management of the affairs of the Council;
- Publication of one of the worlds best orchid magazines, Orchids Australia , and other cultural books and literature for growers across Australia;
- Operation of this website, providing information and links to other quality sites to the world;
- A unified national judging system granting awards of excellence to growers and not only providing the basis for show judging but in many cases the judges;
- Access to a comprehensive presentations library of some 180 programs;
- A national group insurance scheme for liability insurance coverage;
- A national focus through the AOC Conservation Director for the conservation of our native orchid species;
- Ability to purchase at significant discount, a range of quality orchid specific products and cultural books for re-sale;
- A quality range of orchid-specific trophies for use in shows or for awards;
- Coordination and allocation of national conferences and provision of conference medals;
- Opportunity for members to participate in official AOC tours to World Orchid Conferences;
- A national badge symbolizing the unity of our national hobby, for growers to purchase;
- Liaison with Government on national issues of relevance, e.g. CITES;
- Australian point of contact for other international orchid bodies.
Applications for Membership:
Group Members: Orchid clubs and societies, apply in writing to The Secretary, Australian Orchid Council, 88 Wehl Street North, MT GAMBIER, SA. 5290 Personal Members: This is automatically part of a subscription to Orchids Australia. Subscription can be made Online here
Australian Orchid Council - Officers
|President||Mr Jim Shaughnessy||08 8725 9051 Postal: 88 Wehl St. North, Mount Gambier, SA 5290|
|Vice- President||Mr Graham Zerbe||334 Wright Road, Para Vista, SA 5093|
|Secretary||Mrs Thea Shaughnessy||08 8725 9051 Postal: 88 Wehl St. North, Mount Gambier, SA 5290
|Treasurer||Mrs Thea Shaughnessy||08 8725 9051 Postal: 88 Wehl St. North, Mount Gambier, SA 5290
|Registrar General of Judging||Mr John Rees||04 0755 9497|
|Deputy Registrar of Judging||Mr Ian Chalmers FAOC||02 9525 7215|
|Regional Registrars of Judging:|
|Queensland||Mr Les Vickers||07 3396 8060|
|New South Wales||Mr Ian Chalmers||02 9525 7215|
|Victoria||Mr Grant Garrett||03 9802 1970|
|Tasmania||Mr Jim Smith||03 6244 1555|
|South Australia||Mr Roger Rankin||08 8182 2702|
|Western Australia||Ms Maxine Godbeer||08 9295 5448 Mobile: 04 1892 6158|
|Northern Territory||Mr Denis Fett||08 8932 1211|
|Programme Director||Mr Jim Shaughnessy||08 8725 9051 Postal: 88 Wehl St. North, Mount Gambier, SA 5290|
|Publications Director||Miss Coralie Hills FAOC||08 8357 4484 PO Box 329, Mitcham, SA 5062|
|Editor Orchids Australia||Miss Coralie Hills FAOC||08 8357 4484 PO Box 329, Mitcham, SA 5062|
Australian Orchid Council Inc. some history:
The Australian Orchid Council Inc. of today is a far cry from that founded in 1960. After a number of years of turmoil, a new Constitution was adopted in 1997. Perhaps the most significant changes here were: the State representation at Council being handed to a STRO (State or Territory Representative Organization) with the former State member bodies being termed "Foundation Members" and having equal voting with other clubs in their home state; the introduction of Personal Membership as part of a subscription to Orchids Australia; and the separation of the Regional Judging Panels.
- Orchid Society of New South Wales Inc.
- Victorian Orchid Club Inc.
- Tasmanian Orchid Society Inc.
- Orchid Society of the Northern Territory Inc.
- Queensland Orchid Society Inc.
- Orchid Society of Western Australia Inc.
- Orchid Club of South Australia Inc.